Friday, January 16, 2009

Be Confident, Be Hot?

I saw a news interview where two beautiful young women (amply displaying their cleavage) talked about their book. One theme they hit on was having confidence. They claimed that women need to have confidence no matter what their size. I was thinking, “Yeah, anybody with your body would feel that way.”

They said that the trait men are most attracted to in a woman is confidence. I would have yelled at the TV, but I was running on the treadmill at the gym. So I refrained.

I’ve been both fat (and invisible), and slender and attractive. There’s a vast difference in the way people see you and treat you.

It doesn’t matter how great you are at your job, what a great cook you are, how kind and generous you are, etc. Being confident does not make you “hot” and it does not make men (or others) blind to your weight.

And I would argue that it is impossible to be completely confident when you are overweight. No matter how great you are in every other area, you still have to look in the mirror and see the one area you are failing in. The one area you want to change, but feel powerless to do so.

Everyone is a beautiful, valuable being. NO matter their size. But the cold hard sorry truth is that most people see the packaging first, not the contents inside.

I wonder how confident those ladies would feel if they gained 50 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment