Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Farther Than We Think

I started training a new group of clients this week. They’ve just embarked on a journey to lose weight and get into better health.

It was back to the basics as I taught them how to squat and lunge correctly. Their faces grimaced with simple ab crunches. They sweated and struggled, but they made it through a grueling hour. One lady said, “My legs feel weak and wobbly. Is that normal?”

I assured her it was.

I remember when I was overweight and had my first strength training session. When I left the studio, I had to hold onto the railing as I went down the steps because my legs were buckling beneath me. It took four days for the soreness to subside so I could go up the stairs or sit on the toilet without pain.

Yesterday I found some old hand weights in my closet. It was a strangely poignant feeling to see the two-pound dumbbells lying in the dust on the floor. It was a memory of how I was when I started, but a reminder of how strong I’ve become.

We all have to start out…where we are. With patience and perseverance we can progress forward. Dare I say, we can get even farther than we think we can?

No comments:

Post a Comment