Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spend a Little Time, Save a Lot of Calories

Yesterday I had to drive some distance away and was on the road for about six hours. I didn’t feel like figuring all my food and packing it. (It takes time and effort to think ahead and make it!)

On the other hand, I really didn’t want to have to try to find something healthy on the road. I especially didn’t want to get caught hungry and end up making a poor choice. See, I know myself too well. And I wanted to smile at the scale this morning, not feel disappointed.

So I went ahead and got my food ready: almonds, applesauce, tuna on lettuce, lite popcorn (popped), apple with peanut butter, and celery sticks (and water bottles). The only thing I did get on the road was a cup of coffee - chocolate caramel - with a little fat free milk. I was very happy to come home and add all my calories together and see that I was right where I needed to be.

If we can look past the effort to the end result, we realize how little the effort really is when compared to how much it helps us reach our goal.

One of the easiest things you can do that has the biggest impact on your weight is planning and preparing your food. Depending on your job, schedule, etc., this could mean packing a day’s worth of stuff in a lunch cooler. So what? It may take a little time, but it’ll save you a bunch of calories… and bad choices, and crying over the scale, and heart disease, etc, etc.

Stop whining over the work involved in living healthy and start bragging about the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment