Friday, February 27, 2009

Tasty Oatmeal Pancakes

I love pancakes. I rarely make them because the typical pancake mix is high in calories and carbohydrates, and low in fiber. So I went looking for an alternative.

I found a way to make a healthy version of pancakes that tastes delicious (my family agrees). They are made from oatmeal, which is a great source of nutrients and fiber, and they have no added fat or sugar.

Oatmeal Pancakes
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 1/4 cup hot water or fat free milk
1 cup oatmeal flour (grind oatmeal in a blender)
1 tsp. baking powder
4 egg whites, whisk with fork
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 packets Splenda

Stir oats into hot water and soak for 5 minutes. Mix in oatmeal flour, bakding powder, egg whites, vanilla and Splenda. If necessary, add water for desired consistency. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium heat. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to dip batter into pan. Makes 8 pancakes, 82 calories each (if made with water).

I like to add blueberries into my pancakes then top them with light Cool Whip (instead of syrup).

No comments:

Post a Comment