Monday, March 2, 2009

Shift in Momentum

I know what it’s like to lose weight and regain it. I did that at least six times before embracing healthy changes as my way of life.

I hear stories of many clients who did well with weight loss only to stall and slip until they were back into their old habits. And back to putting on the pounds.

What I hear is, “I know what to do, I just can’t seem to get started.”

What I think happens is a total shift in momentum. When we are living healthy, eating right, exercising, and feeling good and strong, there is a wonderful momentum that builds and helps us move forward.

As soon as we start having cheat days, eating whatever, skipping exercise, quitting our journal and planning ahead, there is a tremendous shift in our momentum. Before we know it, we are speeding back into old behaviors and patterns. Now the momentum has shifted, and that power and drive is pushing us in the wrong direction.

And how hard it is to turn it around!

I once heard that a ship needs five miles to turn around. You can imagine how hard the rudder pushes against the water to turn and redirect that massive ship.

In your own life, making the turn will take a lot of internal fortitude. You need to be prepared for that amount of effort. But, hey, can you hang on for five miles? Before you know it, you’ll have made the turn and will start building momentum again in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment