Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My 5 Top Tricks for Building Boundaries

In my last blog, I asked you to consider accepting your food issues. When you do, then you are able to face food honestly and say, “What can I do to manage this behavior?”

I want to share some of my secrets for building boundaries around food. If I didn’t do this, I would not be successful. I do not have Goliath-size will power. I love to eat. I hate to feel hungry. And over the years, I’ve learned tricks to keep myself on track.

1. Clean out your environment. Get rid of anything that is a trigger, pleasure, temptation food. For me, I cannot keep ice cream in my fridge freezer. (I have been able to keep it in the deep freeze in the basement.) Nor can I keep chocolate bars in the house. Instead I keep diet hot cocoa mix for my chocolate cravings.

2. Always preplan your food and know what the calories are. It’s the same as counting the costs before you build. This will help you make smart choices. I subtotal my foods throughout the day, and then plan out and total the evening foods to make sure I’m staying in my calorie range. If not, I make adjustments to my plan before I eat. (This step includes journaling everything!!)

3. Eat often. Six times a day works well – three meals and three snacks. Don’t let yourself get overly hungry. Not only will your blood sugar drop, but you will lose control and overeat. I always make sure to get in my meals and snacks, even if it means packing food to take with me.

4. Avoid eating for socializing. It’s too easy to relax and just eat whatever because you’re with a group of friends. Meet up after dinner or invite people over to your house where you’re in control of the menu. (I avoid going to people’s houses for dinner at all costs.) If you do have to go to a friend’s for dinner, offer to bring a salad.

5. Use lots of substitute behaviors. I chew gum, drink herbal tea, brush my teeth, go to the library, take a shower, check my email, etc., during the “snacky” times. I know what time of day is my hardest to stay out of the kitchen so I get busy with other stuff. (Getting out of the house to run errands works great.)

So, there are my top tricks for building boundaries and being successful with food. Try building boundaries for yourself. See how much easier your day can be.

1 comment: