Friday, January 9, 2009

Poor Me

When something is unpleasant, it’s easy to get a “poor me” attitude. I had to talk myself through one of those yesterday.

My treadmill workout was unpleasant. It was hard. The workout consisted of intervals of brisk walking, lunging, and running. After each cycle, the incline went up until the final cycle at 12%. I can tell you I was hanging onto the sides for dear life on that last run.

Near the end of the workout I started thinking about how hard it was. How bad my legs hurt. I wanted to back down on the speed, thinking maybe I couldn’t do it.

Then I caught myself. “No,” I thought. “You want to get a couple pounds off and you chose this workout. You’re going to do it.”

To finish the workout, I had to stop thinking about how hard it was and how bad I felt. Instead, I had to think about my goals. And I had to tell myself I could and I would finish it.

Ditch the “poor me” attitude and start thinking of yourself as an overcomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment